Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 September last it was 40 years ago since I started working for the company I still work for. It has undergone some name changes and expansion through a merger but the core business still remains basically the same. Storing bulk liquids and gasses for third parties.

The day itself was quite uneventful, my manager visited me at the site I work now with a bunch of flowers and a gold pin with diamond. I was supposed to receive a charter commemorating this achievement signed by our Board of Directors but HR Support managed to misplace this. (Story of my life). After my mid-year assessment and without shaking hands he left after an hour. That was it :D

But I invited ten of my closest former and current colleagues for dinner and we had this the 10th. A very large table to maintain the distance made it a bit less celebratory but I still had a great evening. But before we sat down we had drinks at the huge terrace over spanning water and my manager held quite the speech. He must have been working on it for weeks, interviewing people and digging through old records. It was great! I received a collection of Belgian beers, a bottle of vintage Port from the already retired secretary I worked with for 13 years and a voucher to buy something with myself. I did, a new leather 'design' desk chair. But the real cracker will be end of this month when I will receive an extra month of pay, tax free! It used to be two months but this was ended 4 years ago (just my luck ;)).

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
A month's pay, tax free... not bad. Couldn't that buy a Yamaha FS1? Provided you could find one. Congrats on 40 years, not a lot of people stick with a company like you have.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A month's pay, tax free... not bad. Couldn't that buy a Yamaha FS1? Provided you could find one. Congrats on 40 years, not a lot of people stick with a company like you have.
Lack of ambition is how this is called nowadays. Very sad.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No engraved gold Rolex ??? Guess those days are gone too.:cry:
I would have taken it (less that damn inscription). We have become a nuisance I guess. Changed laws mandate I still have over 6 years to go. The whole Internet doesn't have enough resources to express my utter disappointment and bloody chagrin over this :mad:.

Reactions: forzaferrari

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
40 yrs, that is something you don't hear often, or that you never hear. Your gathering on the 10th sounds excellent, less the restrictions. Congratulations...in six years; that'll pass like vapor and you'll be free, I hope.

·
Super Moderator
10,361 Posts
Well that is extraordinary Frans, and totally have to wish you a
GINORMOUS congratulations there !!! 😃 🏆🏅🎉 40 years is
really something, and by the sound of it, your co-workers really
appreciate you, and showed that they do too sir. (y) (y) Yowza,
you have to be floored by the whole thing. Not to mention proud
to work for, or with such great people. Seems like many, or all
of them are just as much friends, as they are are co-workers
Frans ! 😉

Wish I, or we could have been there with you to help celebrate
the occasion, and day with you. Sounds like a really terrific day
for one really terrific guy. BIG BIG congrats once again there to
you Frans !!! Remarkable to hear honestly. Thanks so very very
much for sharing, and letting us celebrate from afar with you. 🍻

·
Registered
345 Posts
1 September last it was 40 years ago since I started working for the company I still work for. It has undergone some name changes and expansion through a merger but the core business still remains basically the same. Storing bulk liquids and gasses for third parties.

The day itself was quite uneventful, my manager visited me at the site I work now with a bunch of flowers and a gold pin with diamond. I was supposed to receive a charter commemorating this achievement signed by our Board of Directors but HR Support managed to misplace this. (Story of my life). After my mid-year assessment and without shaking hands he left after an hour. That was it :D

But I invited ten of my closest former and current colleagues for dinner and we had this the 10th. A very large table to maintain the distance made it a bit less celebratory but I still had a great evening. But before we sat down we had drinks at the huge terrace over spanning water and my manager held quite the speech. He must have been working on it for weeks, interviewing people and digging through old records. It was great! I received a collection of Belgian beers, a bottle of vintage Port from the already retired secretary I worked with for 13 years and a voucher to buy something with myself. I did, a new leather 'design' desk chair. But the real cracker will be end of this month when I will receive an extra month of pay, tax free! It used to be two months but this was ended 4 years ago (just my luck ;)).
Well done. When I left a company I had worked for for 23 years my staff bought me a Tag watch. I ended up selling it a few years ago in order I could buy a Christopher Ward. The bloke who bought it from me is quite old, and has instructed his wife to give it back to me when he kicks the bucket.

The last company I worked for was a ten year stint, and I hated it, as well as the boss. They bought me a tankard with "have a happy retierment" on it. Yes, retirement was spelled incorrectly. I chucked it in the bin when I got home.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Yamaha would wither away and I have no place to store it. No watch either but I’ll splash out on new furniture, hire someone to decorate the walls in the living and perhaps a new humidor with a fancy, electronic humidifier. You only live once :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congratulations Frans. 40 years does not pass without some frustration -- I admire your persistence.
Glad the company recognised your loyalty. RV by any chance?
David

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations Frans. 40 years does not pass without some frustration -- I admire your persistence.
Glad the company recognised your loyalty. RV by any chance?
David
Yes, Royal Vopak. Good guess. First our Vlaardingen Terminal and the past 6 years Head Office. But since 16 March back at Vlaardingen for the duration of the current situation. Head Office is too crowdy.

Reactions: Yokel

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done there Frans. It helps to have the right attitude which you clearly do.
Enjoy the 13th cheque
Up to the next 40 years ;) I'm of the first generation since the 70s that actually has to work (way) past their former pension date :mad: My father retired at 58, many of my former colleagues at 57.5 and the wave just before me at 63. Sigh.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts