Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The restoration of my new acquisition is going great! :smile-thumb:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a hint of what it will look like when the restoration is complete...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished the restoration of this watch and it turned out better than I hoped for, I ran out of sunlight so I'll take a bunch of pictures tomorrow BUT I do have one teaser pix to share !

And I just now made a desktop background version of it...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the only Bulova ad I've been able to find for this 62 Astro...

But I believe it shows the luminous paint on the hands...

It's kind of hard to make out because the luminous paint was so much lighter in color back when the watch was new but you can just make it out in this picture as well, I'm unsure if this picture is by Bulova or not, It came from Martin Marcus of https://www.accutron214.com...

It's much easier to see how Bulova applied the luminous paint to spade hands back then in these two pictures of Accutron 214 railroad watches with factory blue radium spade Hands P/N BRdS-25...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, forget that other desktop, This one is much better !

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
Oh man, this is spectacular Accutronitis !!! :eek: :eek: :smileyface_hand_cla Amazing job !!!

You must be so happy ! :) Seriously, it's one thing to have an idea about how
you want to restore a watch, but for it to then turn out terrific is beyond cool !!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I've been looking for this variant for over two years and now I even have a few spare parts for it if god forbid something should ever happen to it for whatever reason...

It's as close to perfect as I could have hoped for, I've yet to see another one of this type out in the real world and now I've got one !

And I'll never part with this one for any amount of money, I think I'll be buried with it !

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's amazing how far just changing a beat up crystal will go in giving new life to an old neglected watch...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't think I'd ever sell this watch but money has a way of changing your thinking, Sold this watch for $6,000.00 to a very nice guy who was not going to take not for sale as an answer!

It now has a great home in New York!

Classic New York cab in the background! lol

·
Super Moderator
9,909 Posts
Now that is just amazing Accutrontis ! :jaw: I know like you said that
you said you were never going to sell it. But it sounds like it really
is going to a terrific home, and will be greatly appreciated ! :clapping-hands-abov

Think this is just fantastic Accutrontis, and shows how incredible
a job you did restoring this beauty. Wow, congratulations there !!!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I told him no and I meant it until he made an offer that I just couldn't say no to, I put some of the money I got for the watch to buy something I'd put to better use than a watch...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts