Watch Freeks banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked this watch up on eBay about a year ago, intending for it to be a 30th birthday present for my best friend who's a huge vintage watch lover. Upon arrival, I relized it was so small by modern standards (think ladies Cartier Tank size) that it wouldn't suit him, even as a "small wristed" guy who prefers watches in the sub-35mm category.

I took it to the Omega Boutique here in NYC for help identifying it and they were able to determine under a magnification that it is a caliber 17 or 18 (can't remember and trying to find my emailed notes on this) and confirmed it's authenticity and approx production date (1934).

The factory in Switzerland wouldn't even take it back to replace the case because apparently they produced this exact caliber and face for a number of watches at that time.

Mostly just sharing this in case others find it as fascinating of a little mystery as I have, but also curious if anyone knows more about the caliber, what originally housed it, value etc. (paid $300, but bought from someone who knows nothing about old watches).

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
imported post

Don't know much about the caliber but that is a very very nice case design. Unfortunately like you said the older tank cases are just to small by todays standards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts