Watch Freeks banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
My wife has a Sicura.
Nice little automatic watch.
Kinda small, but nice.

Man, does this bring back memories! Thanks for posting this.

Reactions: WatchMedic

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
The difference between this company, and many of the "Swiss" brands he is going after is that the Swiss brands (or even well established Asian brands) have history that can't be replicated. No upstart company is going to be able to touch that until they have been around for some time (unless they buy the name and rights to an older defunct company).

One of the reason people will pay over $8k for a new Submariner is its history. It took over 50 years to get to where the model and brand is today.
An upstart micro-brand could theoretically make a new watch that is in every way shape and from as good or better that a Rolex, but that won't make people buy it.

By using a Japanese movement, Chinese assembly, and avoiding middlemen, Goldgena says it can undercut the industry.
^^^Sounds like every other non-Swiss watchmaker out there.

Good luck to him, he is getting enough attention and publicity that he should have a good run with this project.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Garrick said: "One of the reason people will pay over $8k for a new Submariner is its history. It took over 50 years to get to where the model and brand is today.
An upstart micro-brand could theoretically make a new watch that is in every way shape and from as good or better that a Rolex, but that won't make people buy it".

A very valid point and one of my favourite discussion topics. And I would like to add: people won't buy it for $8K. There is a border to cross where actual production costs, profit margin and customer value for money ends and prestige, brand recognition and let's face it, some watch snobbery starts. And like you said, that is a very tall order for a start-up. There's a reason why the 'big guns' place so much emphasis on their heritage and true heritage cannot be made up.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
634 Posts
Garrick said: "One of the reason people will pay over $8k for a new Submariner is its history. It took over 50 years to get to where the model and brand is today.
An upstart micro-brand could theoretically make a new watch that is in every way shape and from as good or better that a Rolex, but that won't make people buy it".

A very valid point and one of my favourite discussion topics. And I would like to add: people won't buy it for $8K. There is a border to cross where actual production costs, profit margin and customer value for money ends and prestige, brand recognition and let's face it, some watch snobbery starts. And like you said, that is a very tall order for a start-up. There's a reason why the 'big guns' place so much emphasis on their heritage and true heritage cannot be made up.
Heritage and history have to start somewhere though. At one point, even Rolex was the new guy. Who knows who the next "Rolex" will be. Maybe one of these micro brands, maybe a company that's still just someone's idea.

I would hate to believe that there's no room at all left for someone to start a watch company and become successful and well respected, even in an already pretty saturated market.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Heritage and history have to start somewhere though. At one point, even Rolex was the new guy. Who knows who the next "Rolex" will be. Maybe one of these micro brands, maybe a company that's still just someone's idea.

I would hate to believe that there's no room at all left for someone to start a watch company and become successful and well respected, even in an already pretty saturated market.
It isn't all that bad:

Roger Dubois - 1995
Hublot - 1980
Parmigiani Fleurier - 1996

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts

Absolutely, and I hope to be looking back at some of today's micro-brands kicking myself for letting them go before they became "big".

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Absolutely, and I hope to be looking back at some of today's micro-brands kicking myself for letting them go before they became "big".
Today's micro-brands in a (biassed) nutshell:

Entry level Rolex Sub homages with low-end automatic movement;
or
Original design watches like H2O/Helberg with an ETA 2824;
or
Well executed homages like Helson's offerings with a Miyota 9015;
and so on and so forth.

None of them possess the lasting qualities that will catapult them into eternity but some may gain some collectors' value. None are budding Patek Phillipes :D But, this was brought to you by a dreamy watch nerd from Rotterdam :D

Reactions: #four

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
The videos are amusing. They have a couple uploaded now to Youtube. I agree Seiko has been around quite a few years but disagree with Breitling. The original company went under in 1979. Ernest Schneider, from Sicura, took over the firm and registered it under the name MONTRES BREITLING S.A. in Granges.

The point is the name has been around a long time, and it resonates with people.

Which, to Tvdinner's point, he is somewhat right, but GoldGena still sounds horrible to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another new micro brand of watches with Japanese movement and made in China. Why would Bloomberg even print a story about this? Oh, because it's a Swiss watch company with a ridiculous sounding name that in no way make it sound like it is trying to exude luxury out of a 500.00 USD watch. Obviously, Mr. Claudio d’Amore (personally, his name sounds more like a watch brand: "I'm wearing my Claudio d'Amore watch") must have some connection to get his story on print from a well known publisher.

Personally (another one), I wouldn't buy a Swiss watch from Switzerland with a Japanese movement, just as I wouldn't buy a Japanese watch from Japan with a Swiss movement. It just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Missing some logic here

So a cigar tore brand goes out of business. That makes Breitling less than a stellar watch?

Timex has history and heritage. add Waltham and Hamilton etc..

Elitist to ignore yjr jewelry aspect a watch gives

One an list many superior watches being ignored by the current crop of watch lovers today

I should mention one with more value than most. Look at the Jean Richard brand

Or Daniel Jean Richard... I have owned 2 and the Paramount I have beats 90% of watches out there

Loss off MSRP may be 90% after a while but no one can argue the watch has what it takes
to fit into a top tier

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Someone set me straight on this: aren't ETA movements respected as very good quality movements that last a lifetime with proper care?

Lately, I've seen some articles and viewed some videos that seem to disparage ETAs as sort of generic, "off-the-shelf," almost blue collar movements that a true watch connoisseur would never tolerate on his wrist.

What's the big picture here?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Someone set me straight on this: aren't ETA movements respected as very good quality movements that last a lifetime with proper care?

Lately, I've seen some articles and viewed some videos that seem to disparage ETAs as sort of generic, "off-the-shelf," almost blue collar movements that a true watch connoisseur would never tolerate on his wrist.

Thing is, there are different grades of ETA movements (like the 2824-2 for example). The 2824-2 in a Squale or Steinhart is not built to the same tolerances as the 2824-2 in a Tudor. Some of it is just brand snobbery, some of it is justified. Most common ETA movements are reliable quality movements that will operate as well and last as long as their Japanese counterparts. Movements are important to the watch, but in my opinion should not be the entire basis for your purchase. They are but one component to the entire package.

·
Registered
250 Posts
While I agree that Swiss Made has now become a joke it only applies in certain cases.

Swiss Made on a Rolex is NOT a joke.

Swiss Made on a Zodiac IS (unfortunately).

Most people don't know about the "over 50%" rule. I was saddened to find out about it some time ago and I'm finding out now that next year they're upping the threshold to 60% which is a small step towards the right direction.

I actually believe that one of the reason swiss watches aren't doing so well is because of this rule right here. Although the biggest influencers are, as the article stated, the economical situation across the globe and new trends in technology, accessories and gadgets.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Watch collectors and those who can afford expensive watches along with the maintenance required are in a league of their own ( so to speak ) many cannot afford or want an expensive watch and want a good looking watch that fits their tastes. A Nomos mean zip to an Invicta buyer by and large

I'd love a JLC but don't want the hassle of maintenance and worry about damaging it

A Rolex 2824 is rebuilt, much like a blue printed auto engine for racing. Same for Breitling.
Both have great CS, protect their image as best they can ( I really doubt it at times due to grey market )

Breitling bought a company that breaks the movement down, polish and new and better sings, gaskets etc. all are rated was Chronometers. So not your cigar store watch as I mentioned above. I spent a huge amount of money recently to buy a watch I wanted for years and still don't regret it. In fact I won't ever sell it either. So its again, something I valued more than the money.

·
Registered
179 Posts

It depends on the type of ETA model. The 2824 has been around for so long that the patent has expired and is now being cloned by other manufacturers. But there are also many luxury brands that states their own caliper model as the engine on their watches, but they are actually just modified ETA 2824.

ETA is the "go-to" brand for Swiss movements that has proven through many years as being robust and dependable engine.

I believe that the "true watch connoisseur" that wouldn't tolerate an ETA in their watches are those that would only buy from manufacturers that make their own movement in-house (i.e. Rolex, Chopard, etc.), and therefore, would consider ETA as "generic".

·
Registered
285 Posts
Omg, all this parsing and minutiae, its giving me a Godam headache over here. I wanted a hobby I could relax with and have fun. I don't know if you can do that if you even spend one second longer than necessary thinking about this.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Omg, all this parsing and minutiae, its giving me a Godam headache over here. I wanted a hobby I could relax with and have fun. I don't know if you can do that if you even spend one second longer than necessary thinking about this.
Use the un-subscribe function for this thread and don't look back :D No one will force you to read this ;)

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
285 Posts
Me thinks my previous post will stand on its merit. I was being a little tongue in cheek with my thoughts. I mean really, you can pick apart this subject of Swiss Made until the cows come home. It does get tiresome, at least for me. I realize I can unsubscibe, so thanks for that. Also, I know it
is very important to some that the watch that says Swiss Made is actually so. Myself included. From what I've been able to glean from Google and other forums that as long as the United States says that a watch movement determines the country of origin, thus permitting any watch brand so long as the movement is Swiss Made the watch may proclaim such on the dial or caseback IIRC. Swiss Federation be damned. Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
^^^
The United States government says lots of bizarre things.....they should probably stay out of the watch business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts