Watch Complications Simplified - Watch Freeks

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: View
Default Watch Complications Simplified

http://gevrilgroup.com/blog/watch-co...ns-simplified/

A watch’s primary purpose is to tell time, and some watches do precisely that — and no more. Watches that display hours and minutes are called two-hand models, because they have two hands. Watches that also have a second hand are referred to as three-hand models.

However, many watches exist that do more than just tell time, and the additional functions these watches perform are called complications.

Common Types of Watch Complications

Day and Date: The most common watch complication is the date window. Date windows can be situated in various positions on a watch’s dial. Most people are used to seeing date windows at the 3 o’clock, but today’s watches can have them at almost any position on the dial. Some watches use a “Cyclops” or magnifier so that the date is easier to read on smaller dials. Another complication allows for both a day and date to appear on the dial.

Day Date Complication - Fortis B-42 Automatic 647-10-11 M

Calendar: While many watches display the date, there are some watches with a very special complication called a perpetual calendar. The perpetual calendar is the most complex type of calendar feature to exist on a watch. This calendar accurately displays the date, day, month, and year, and even takes into account leap years. However, perpetual calendar watches will require correction in 2100, which will not be a leap year.

Chronograph: Another complication frequently seen is the chronograph, which in layman terms means that the manufacturer has added a stopwatch to the timepiece. Normally a chronograph is controlled by a start/stop button and a reset button. Most chronographs have small subdials incorporated in the main dial that keep track of tenths of seconds, minutes, or hours for the stopwatch function.

Power Reserve Indicator: A power reserve indicator placed on the dial of the watch displays the run time remaining before the watch needs to be rewound. You would normally see these on mechanical or automatic watches. Quartz watches use a different complication to indicate that a watch’s battery is running down. The second hand will start to move in two-second intervals when it’s time for a battery change.

Chronograph Complication - Calibre Buffalo SC-4B1-04-001

Power Reserve Complication - Louis Erard Mens 53230AA11 Excellence Small Seconds

GMT Hand: Many modern watches utilize a second hour hand, that is used to display time in a second time zone. This complication is referred to as a GMT hand. GMT refers to Greenwich Mean Time, as the original function was created in order to offer pilots a fixed time zone reference while flying between time zones. Today, this is a fabulous watch complication for frequent travelers.

Moon Phase: Luxury watches include complications like moon phase indicators and minute repeaters. The moon phase complication shows if the moon is full, half, quarter or new. Originally, the moon phase was used by sailors to gauge tides.

GMT Complication - Versace V-Race 29G70D001 S070

Moon Phase Complication - Gevril GV2 Mens XO Submarine 4511

Minute Repeater: A minute repeater is a movement that will chime out the time when a lever on the side of the case is activated. This was a fairly common complication for pocket watches during the 18th and 19th centuries

Certain style of watches tend to use specific complications. For instance, pilot watches tend to have fancy bezels that act as flight computers. Dive watches feature Helium release valves to release the pressure following deep water dives.

Cost Implications of Watch Complications

Adding complications to a watch is expensive. The movement modules need to be designed to operate both the timing mechanism and the watch’s complications. Therefore, you tend to see complications on higher end mechanical and automatic movements. (For the record, the Patek Philippe Calibre 89 has 33 complications, using a total of 1728 parts.) However, quartz movements make adding complications much more affordable.

The next time you look at a watch you may see that it does more than just tell time. It may not do as many things as your cellphone, but I bet it looks a whole lot better on your wrist.
In Rotation: Accutron Spaceview T Case (1970), Tudor Pelagos 25500TN, Glycine Airman 17 Ref:3917.2, Glycine Airman 08 Chrono 7754, Omega Planet Ocean XL, Raymond Weil Nabucco GMT, Citizen Skyhawk JY0000-53E, Breitling Super Avenger A13370, Boschett Cave Dweller WF LE, Lum-Tec M53 Bronze, Uniq GAF44, Maranez Bangla Ti Cali Dial, Bathy's 100 Fathom, Maranez Bangla Ti LE, Ball Engineer Master II Aviator NM1080C-L3-BK, Orient Pro Saturation Diver EL02003W, REC M5 Mark I, Casio Tough Solar, SWAE Veteran, Panzera BREUER B44-01D (Celtic), Hamilton Sunset H62555153, Prometheus Poseidon, Luxmento Naylamp 300m Automatic Blue, Seiko Recraft, Vostok Europe Ekranoplan, Marina Militare, Hamilton Pan Europ Chrono

Smartwatches: Samsung Gear 2, Ticwatch 2
Spaceview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great info, thanks for putting it all together !!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
jlb

Hey, thats great. Thanks for posting this. Really cool.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awesome info. As a beginner this is very useful to me, many thanks.

Brue.
Brue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Very informative. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Stowa Seatime | Stowa Seatime Prodiver | Tudor Pelagos | Tudor Black Bay | Sinn U1T | Sinn U1 Professional | Sinn 142 ST II Space | Sinn Military Type III LE | Muhle Glashutte SAR Timer | Damasko DA373 | Damasko DH3.0 | Damasko Dsub2 | Kazimon Funfhundert B | LACO Squad Ocean | Omega SMP Ti | Tutima DI300 (2) | H2O Orca (10) | H2O Kalmar II (2) | Pacardt 1Thousand | Tutima Grand Classic 80th Anniversary LE (2) | Seiko PADI Turtle | Seiko "Nemo" Turtle | Seiko Mini Turtle (3) | Seiko Frankenmonster (2) | Seiko "Monster" 2019 | Helson SD42 Bronze | Helson Stingray 43 Bronze | Helson Porthole | Citizen Skyhawk | Tissot PRS516 Triple Seconds | Tissot PRS516 7750 Chronograph (2) | Vostok Amphibian 1967 Bronze | Zodiac Oceanaire | Lum-Tec Combat B31 Bronze | Prometheus Eagle Ray Meteorite
#four is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Very good info, I know that alot of guys (me included) have done a bunch of head scratching over this in the past. Great job!
Radrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

that was very very useful to me, thanks a lot to you for posting this!!!
rama39732 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the good info, very compact and useful. I learned a few things
Alexvlad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Very informative
Now, can you explain the workings of the one handed watch?
The Russian made Luch watch for an example

Ex traindriver Art
arogle1stus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Single-Hand Watch

The watch as the primordial measuring instrument

First watches had only one pointer. An example in this context is the sundial or the hourglass, which represent simple and primordial forms of time measurement. MeisterSinger watches are modelled on the same principle.

Early watches were measuring instruments - as speedometers are still today. As it is generally accepted that measuring instruments have only a pointer, the same should apply to a watch, which is a chronometer or a time measuring device.

The hierarchy of markers makes the watches really easy to read. The bold indexes are hour markers. The half hour and quarter hour indexes become progressively thinner, and the remaining markers are very thin.

The marker hierarchy is reminiscent of a millimetre scale. The prominent needle pointer and leading zeros complete the look of a measuring instrument that gives you a feeling of déjà vu, as the watch seems strangely familiar.

In Rotation: Accutron Spaceview T Case (1970), Tudor Pelagos 25500TN, Glycine Airman 17 Ref:3917.2, Glycine Airman 08 Chrono 7754, Omega Planet Ocean XL, Raymond Weil Nabucco GMT, Citizen Skyhawk JY0000-53E, Breitling Super Avenger A13370, Boschett Cave Dweller WF LE, Lum-Tec M53 Bronze, Uniq GAF44, Maranez Bangla Ti Cali Dial, Bathy's 100 Fathom, Maranez Bangla Ti LE, Ball Engineer Master II Aviator NM1080C-L3-BK, Orient Pro Saturation Diver EL02003W, REC M5 Mark I, Casio Tough Solar, SWAE Veteran, Panzera BREUER B44-01D (Celtic), Hamilton Sunset H62555153, Prometheus Poseidon, Luxmento Naylamp 300m Automatic Blue, Seiko Recraft, Vostok Europe Ekranoplan, Marina Militare, Hamilton Pan Europ Chrono

Smartwatches: Samsung Gear 2, Ticwatch 2
Spaceview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great info! Thanks for posting that.
Rathel11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Great post!! Thanks
mikedalton24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you for posting - answered a lot of questions for me!
Longines HydroConquest Chrono | Oris TT1 | Magrette Regattare | Swiss Army Groundforce Titanium | Swiss Army Maverick | Suunto Core | Lum-Tec LZ7 | Helson Shark Diver 45 PVD | Marathon JSAR (awesome) | Deep Blue DayNight Diver Pro T100 | Benarus Sea Devil PVD | Deep Blue DayNight 63 T100 | Steinhart Aviation | Deep Blue Depthmaster 3000 | Deep Blue Sundiver III | Casio G Shock GA100 | Orient M-Force Beast | Ralf Tech WRX E-Matic
reverseworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Great information. Thank You
Eztenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

That is great information. Thanks for sharing this information
ddavidsonmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
WatchFreeks Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceview View Post
http://gevrilgroup.com/blog/watch-co...ns-simplified/

Moon Phase: Luxury watches include complications like moon phase indicators and minute repeaters. The moon phase complication shows if the moon is full, half, quarter or new. Originally, the moon phase was used by sailors to gauge tides.

Nooooo. Moon phase was developed elusively for use by Dartmoor residents in deepest, darkest, Devon, where werewolves come from. Everyone knows that!

HollerWatch and PsiFox like this.
Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Interesting read. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Excellent post.....thank you.
zed073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey, thats great. Thanks for posting this. Really cool.
Black_Forest_Atelier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Space:
What I don't unnerstand is the folks who buy Luch one hand watches?
I'm not all that impressed with too busy dials. Son's Citizen Navahawk
fer instance,
But just one hand?

X traindriver Art
arogle1stus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Forum Navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Watch Freeks forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in