Watch Freeks banner

Strap Review - DiStefano DS77 Saddle Strap

7K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  andrema 
#1 · (Edited)
imported post

Reviewer: Mark A. (andrema)

Strap Being Reviewed: DiStefano Straps - DS77 Saddle Strap

Strap was donated for review on WatchFreeks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note: For reference purposes, the pictures below are taken on a 7.25 inch wrist.

About:

Di Stefano Straps are steeped in history and leather tradition...four generations of knowledge and experience working with high quality leather products -- A true labour of love.

Simona Di Stefano continues the family leather tradition first started by Great,Grandfather Menotti Allegrini who originally imported leathers from Argentina to Italy around 1899 and treated the hides at his Livorno tannery on the Italian West coast.

Some of those classic leathers were used by Grandfather Bruno Allegrini during the second world war when producing leather products to military specification for the Italian army. Indeed to this day Simona still produces a beautiful strap dedicated to her grandfather aptly called "The Bruno". Father Mario Di Stefano, husband of Gioia Allegrini, did much to move the company forward in the post second world war era by supplying such fashion icons as Gucci, Ferragamo and Prada with the high quality leather they required.

Today Simona Di Stefano is able to utilise her own personal experience of working for the Panerai Watch Company, calling upon the vast wealth of experience and leather know how that only four generations of experts can collectively bring. Recognised as one of the very best strap makers the company motto remains "quality not quantity" Still hand made by artisans in Florence Italy whose skills were taught and passed down from their own forefathers . . . the old fashioned way. Father Mario Di Stefano now retired is no longer involved in the leather business however he remains a fountain of knowledge in all things leather. In the latter part of 2008 Simona's English born partner Steve joined the company bringing with him other skills and qualifications from a military background and former director of marketing at Harrods of Knightsbridge London, coincidentally long time Panerai watch collector and enthusiast also. Steve's influence on the actual strap collection has increased and is now the main driving force behind the actual product, it's constant developement, and the marketing thereof. Is a labour of love, but a full time busy labour of love for both!

Company Website:http://www.distefanostraps.com/

Contact Info:

Simona Di Stefano
Via Pietro Tacca n.3
50125 Firenze Italia

Phone: 00393385099368

E-Mail: info@distefanostraps.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock Photo:

Strap Specifications:

Style: DS77 "Saddle Strap"

Length (mm): 130/85

Width (mm): 22/22

Thickness (mm): 4.0

Stitching: "Stitchless"

Buckle: Brushed Stainless Steel Pre-V - "Unfinished Steel"

Price: 135 Euro

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Strap:

DS77 - Saddle strap - Now well established and much admired by Paneristi worldwide our English saddle strap is now available without sewn in buckle . . you can mount one of our own Di Stefano chunky German made screw in buckles available on this site in Polished - unfinished steel - black PVD - or brown PVD. The stitches design remains along with the ultra comfortable, beveled or mitered sides. By popular demand from you the clients new colour dark tobacco brown has been added to better match most Panerai dials.

Packaging:

The strap arrived in a padded envelope. Inside, the strap was packaged in a nice, brown leather travel pouch. The quality of the pouch is very nice and it is a great touch to include with the purchase of a strap from Di Stefano Straps.

Â*

Photos of strap:

The DS77 is one of many premade straps that is offered by DiStefano. The brown leather is medium in tone and has a very nice character to it. It is constructed of saddle leather, which is very soft and pliable when it is delivered. The strap is "stitcthless" and only has stitches at the lug side of each piece, at the clasp and on either side of the stationary leather keeper. The edges of the strap and two keepers have a very unique, bevelled edge that give the strap a custom look as well as add a great character to the strap. The buckle is a screw-in type, which is custom made and signed.

The strap has the company's logo embossed on the underside. This is very well done and is precisely positionsed as well as refined.

The straps come with a fantastic screwed-in buckle. It has a cut-out section on the underside that helps it sit more flat while fastened. As you can see below, the Buckle also has a great engraved logo on the underside.

As you can see from the photo below, the strap's beveled edge is sealed. The lug ends are secured by two stitches, which are even and precise.

Wrist Shots:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts and Impressions:

Although the DS77 is not a custom made strap, its quality is certainly on par with those made by well-known custom strap makers. The leather is excellent quality, the strap work is well done and the customer service that I received was fast and courteous. This strap is part of DiStefano's "Classic Straps" which includes straps that are more traditional in design as well as materials used.

At first glance, the DS77 has a very refined appearance. The finishing is very well done and the materials used are first rate. To me, this is a very good indication of the efforts and craftsmanship employed by the strap maker.

The leather is very soft as well as pliable, with sealed edges that have a nice bevel that accentuates the look of the strap. The stitching, although minimal, is well done, with straight, even and precise stitching.

Perhaps my favourite feature of the strap is the bevelled edges. This provides a very unique finish as well as adds a custom look to the strap. This is the feature that first attracted me to the brand, and I am very happy that I was able to review one of their models as it introduced me to a great family owned brand.

The quality of this product is superb. This, coupled with the relatively low price as compared to similarly styled straps, makes the strap a very good value. I am very pleased with this strap and I would highly recommend DiStefano to anyone looking for a well-made leather strap. I can guarantee that I will order another very soon!

See less See more
#3 ·
imported post

That is an impressive strap. Thanks for the great review :)

#9 ·
imported post

I do like theminimal stitching , It has a clean look to it. Great review and pic's. I like the strap very much.

#16 ·
imported post

Thanks for the review; excellent close-ups! Minimal design looks good on the pilot, and probably on any other simpler/dressier style watch. The beveled edge really does it for me too; not sure I've ever seen that so well done before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.