Watch Freeks banner

picking a chronograph

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  AtomicTom 
#1 ·
while im on a kick of branching out a little from my usual watch fare, i have been thinking about getting a chronograph. An automatic seems a little out of my budget right now (especially after picking up the pair of Steinharts) so i was thinking of going quartz (auto chronos are expensive!) (one day though I WILL own a valjoux 7750 powered chrono!)
ive been looking at a few, but i have no experience with any of them.

Dan Henry (I like the 1964 on a bracelet)
Deep Blue Air Blue navigator. (nice engineer bracelet)
Seagull 1963 (not a quartz, i know....but i still like it)

im sure i have missed quite a few options so im open to suggestions.
definitely should fall under $500.
the air blue and dan henry are under $200, which is nice and the seagull is under $300.

#2 ·
I can only comment on th Dan Henry 1964 as I owned one for a short while. It is a great looking watch the attention to detail is fabulous. I too preferred it on the bracelet but it also looks good on the supplied leather strap. Under the hood is a Seiko VK64 hybrid movement so you have a mechanical action for the chronograph and the accuracy of a quartz.
Also these are numbered limited editions.
It is a very close homage too, this may be a concern for some.
The only reason I sold it was because it looked too small on my 8 inch wrist.
The watch looks heavily based on the Omega below.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: FBPB and WatchMedic
#4 ·
wow. did not know that about the dan henrys...i only recently discovered them while trolling ebay for affordable chronos and a few of them popped up. my wrists are just over 7 inches so i think the 38mm case should be fine.
so far, im somewhat favoring the dan, but the 42mm version of the seagull 1963 is also very tempting.

also, I recently found a few Tissot auto chronographs that were around the $500 mark so that might be an option, (not sure what movement tissot uses in those) as well as a few jacques lemans sporting a valjoux 7750 movement that are also sub $500.

i dunno...im going to keep looking a little while longer and see what else pops up. still a little undecided on how high i want to go on the budget...
the dan henry checks a lot of boxes for me and is hard to beat at under $200... and for $100 more the seagull also seems like a decent deal with its hand wind movement...i have seen a lot of very positive reviews on the reissue seagull 1963's.

#5 ·
I have the Dan Henry auto 1970 and love it and can attest to their build quality so I’m assuming their other watches would be similar. My three quartz chronos are Filson Makinaw, Jack Mason Aviator Chrono and Toy Watch and they’re all very solid and well under $500 (Filson @ Sierra trading Post, join mailing list and you'll quickly get a 20/25% off offer)

https://www.sierra.com/filson-macki...watches~d~9404/&merch=prod-rec-prod-prod211CU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I can enthusiastically recommend the Seagull '63 reissue. The ST-19 movement is a modification of the highly regarded Venus calibre 175 column wheel chronograph. Fit and finish are better than the price would suggest. I've had mine for about 4 years and it has been a rock solid performer - of course I'm partial to straight-up mechanicals - but this one is a gem. .

#7 ·
I have the same movement in my TC9 Lunarscope so I am with you on the movements quality. Very happy with my Lunarscope...

#8 ·
if still available, i may pull a few extra bucks and go look at a local Hamilton khaki automatic chronograph. its a reverse panda and has the H-21 movement, which i believe is a Hamilton modified ETA 7750(?)
definitely costing more than the dan henry or seagull, but it looks sharp and comes with two very thick leather straps (which I love as an alternative to a bracelet)

Im also giving some thought to ordering a Moto Koure meca quartz new. i do like the Straton, but the Straton Speciale in meca quartz is only available right now in one color and is $500...not sure if it is worth $150 more than the moto koure MK1. really liking the idea of a square chrono though...doubly different for me.

ah, decisions...

#9 ·
WMedic:
Sometimes I don"t choose the Chrono. It chooses me.
If I find a sale watch, more than not it's a chrono.
Kinda/sorta just the way thing worked out.
Confession. Last time I used a chrono was when I was
a RR engr. If speed recorder (aka speedometer) had died
enroute I could use the Chrono. For example: If chrono
read 60 secs in a measure mile I was going 60 mph. If
I ran a train a mile in 01 mins and 12 Secs? 50mph.
01 and 40 secs 45 mph. Savvy?

Lou Snut

#16 ·
I have a quartz chronograph WM, and it's terrific, but can imagine that
that one you are looking at would be extra impressive ! :smile1::thumb: Then on
top of it all you have the 7753 there inside. :) Honestly am no VSA expert,
but that one you are looking at sounds like a real winner !

#17 ·
narrowing the field a bit...
got my eye on a few options right now..

keeping an eye on a few Zodiac quartz chronos. very traditional chrono look. nice and clean. price is good. comes on a very nice SS bracelet, which is always my preference. just the right size at 41mm.

also considering a Straton curve. also quartz.

has a bit of a different look to it, but no bracelet.

i really wish i could get a response back from moto koure. i would love to order one of their MKI meca-quartz watches, but i get no response when i message them on their website, OR their facebook page so im reluctant to order from them.

#19 ·
Oh wow, just looked at some of Moto Koure's watches thanks to your
post here WM. :) ..They do look really nice actually, and very different.
But that is upsetting that you can't get in contact. :(

Although the Straton Curve is amazing as well, and also has a meca-
quartz movement, or even automatic option. :cool: ..The designs are really
something, and nearly look vintage at first glance, but have a cutting
edge vibe also.

No matter what watch you end up with down the road. It's ridiculously
fun having you take us along on the adventure to find your next watch ! :thumb:

#20 ·
#23 ·
well, I bought a watch. a chronograph. finally pulled the trigger.

I debated a long while over whether i could/should shell out the extra money for an automatic chrono, but in the end, two factors inevitably pushed me towards a quartz movement.

first, the price. most of the automatic chronographs i was really interested in were just impossible to get without spending $800+ for a used model, or close to it. (im looking at YOU Hamilton!)

there were cheaper automatic Chronos on the market from Tissot, Bulova, and a host of other brands that I had never heard of before, but the affordable Tissot's were all sporting the ETA C01.211 movement (which I've had before) and i was afraid of service issues down the line. (i never really liked the look of a lot of Tissot watches anyway) some of the brands that were unknown to me had ETA 7750 or 7753 movements, but i was reluctant to purchase a brand i had literally never heard of before. plus, some of the designs were simply gaudy.

second, I'm not entirely sold on a Chrono as something i will wear regularly, so i didn't want to invest too heavily in one without first knowing if im actually going to be into chronograph watches.

given those facts, I decided to narrow my search to quartz Chronos and keep the budget under $500 while still getting something i felt i would actually wear.

I really wanted a moto koure MKI, but after two messages via their website with both my emails and several attempts via their FB page through regular posts and messenger with NO responses...i gave up on that option.

perhaps in the future I will get one of the Straton speciales, which are a similar square shape, but $500 instead of $350. (in meca quartz)

Ebay+patience is what eventually won the day. that, plus setting a hard budget and actually sticking to it (super important where eBay is concerned)

I managed to stay under budget, and got something that is both the "non diver" addition that i had been wanting to add, and yet at the same time, familiar enough to me that I think it will get a reasonable amount of wrist time.

its due here on friday, so if its delivered on time and i have the chance before going to work friday night ill post a shot of it for the big reveal.

in the meantime, ponder on what sort of quartz chronograph i could have picked up for $500 or less (i got it used so factor that in...im a huge fan of buying used) and we will see if anyone got close.

#26 ·
Hmm, that is tough figuring what that might be WM ! :eek:

Think I will just be patient, and enjoy the anticipation of Friday
to be honest, and of course wish you a huge congrats there to
you ahead of time !!! :smile1:

Also have to say, it's awesome seeing how thorough, thoughtful,
and patient like you pointed out. That you were in figuring which
watch would be next for you. Think it was terrific ! :smileyface_hand_cla

#29 ·
Well dang....fedex came early.

So.... Chronograph, but still with a hint of diver. Stainless steel bracelet and a nice high dome sapphire crystal.
I also really love the hands on this model.

i appreciate everyones help with this one.
its no Man-on-the-moon, but I like it.
the bracelet is super comfy...im actually a little surprised at how well it wears.
I got over my "large diver" phase, this zodiac is 41.5mm. fits me nicely.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Congrats on that one, I like it.
A great looking chronograph you have there the choice of colours really work well together the dual register type was also my preference for my only chronograph too, wear it in good health.

#32 ·
This is one of the most comfortable bracelets I have ever had. Damn near as good as my Oris bracelet. I think its the articulating center on the endlinks... All bracelets should have that instead of sticking out past the lugs. It makes the watch conform really well.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Man oh man, that is just too good WM, and so unique too !!! :clapping-hands-abov:cool2:

Actually has such a retro, or vintage way about it with the style, along
with sub-dial look, and especially colors sir. ..Looks like something in
between a cool Seiko, or even Heuer from years back. But is all Zodiac
at the same time with it's outstanding design, and fit, and finish ! :clap2:

Love just the root beer vibe, and the unmistakable hands, and could
stare at this all day long. Or night with that fantastic lume ! ..ENJOY !

BIG congrats WM, and so happy it arrived early like that !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.