Wilde-Beast - Watch Freeks


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
RXP
Member
 
RXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 57
Post imported post

From what I have been reading about Renato on this and other forums Renato is not doing well and may not be around in the near future. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the brand but I'm a big fan of the Wilde-Beast it is actually the watch that I first joined a watch forum because of. I only like the first Wilde-Beasts that came out all the newer one are too big or just don't like right. I know Renato has some watches that are original designs and others that are rip-offs of other watches. That being said I'm curious of what other people think of the Wilde-Beast. Do you think the Wilde-Beast is a rip-off of a Hublot Big Bang or is it an original enough design that although inspired by the likes of the Big Bang and Royal Oak stands on its on, my feeling is that it is an original. What does everyone else think?
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tattoo Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Death Valley, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 19,341
Post imported post

Ill say it is definitely an homage of the big bang and royal oak, but there are lots of homages out there.

I owned a good couple of the original Wilde-beasts when they first came out a good 4-5 years ago, and very much liked them.

Over time I didnt like the bigger cases they started to use and the busy dials, but always like the first models they had.
Tattoo Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
RXP
Member
 
RXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 57
Post imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Quote:
Ill say it is definitely an homage of the big bang and royal oak, but there are lots of homages out there.

I owned a good couple of the original Wilde-beasts when they first came out a good 4-5 years ago, and very much liked them.

Over time I didnt like the bigger cases they started to use and the busy dials, but always like the first models they had.
That is exactly how I feel only like the original versions that came out.

I don't think you can call a watch an homage if it is inspired by two different watches. That is why I think it is an original design though inspired by other watches and not an homage. There are certainly quite a few brands and watches that are influenced by other models which is the case in any business. If it was an homage IMO it would look exactly like one or the other and therefore can't be considered an homage.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tattoo Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Death Valley, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 19,341
Post imported post

RXP wrote:
Quote:
Tattoo Chef wrote:
Quote:
Ill say it is definitely an homage of the big bang and royal oak, but there are lots of homages out there.

I owned a good couple of the original Wilde-beasts when they first came out a good 4-5 years ago, and very much liked them.

Over time I didnt like the bigger cases they started to use and the busy dials, but always like the first models they had.
That is exactly how I feel only like the original versions that came out.

I don't think you can call a watch an homage if it is inspired by two different watches. That is why I think it is an original design though inspired by other watches and not an homage. There are certainly quite a few brands and watches that are influenced by other models which is the case in any business. If it was an homage IMO it would look exactly like one or the other and therefore can't be considered an homage.
You said homage like 10 times in that post...LOL..

I think of that word differently. To me an homage, is one that takes design cues from another brand or model, but is not a direct copy. Ones that look exactly alike, are copies to me.....guess just a different view on the words.

But, yes, I do think the wildebeast was inspired by the big bang and royal oak models.
Tattoo Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
RXP
Member
 
RXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 57
Post imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Quote:
RXP wrote:
Quote:
Tattoo Chef wrote:
Quote:
Ill say it is definitely an homage of the big bang and royal oak, but there are lots of homages out there.

I owned a good couple of the original Wilde-beasts when they first came out a good 4-5 years ago, and very much liked them.

Over time I didnt like the bigger cases they started to use and the busy dials, but always like the first models they had.
That is exactly how I feel only like the original versions that came out.

I don't think you can call a watch an homage if it is inspired by two different watches. That is why I think it is an original design though inspired by other watches and not an homage. There are certainly quite a few brands and watches that are influenced by other models which is the case in any business. If it was an homage IMO it would look exactly like one or the other and therefore can't be considered an homage.
You said homage like 10 times in that post...LOL..

I think of that word differently. To me an homage, is one that takes design cues from another brand or model, but is not a direct copy. Ones that look exactly alike, are copies to me.....guess just a different view on the words.

But, yes, I do think the wildebeast was inspired by the big bang and royal oak models.
HAHAHAH I def did. I have always taken homage as being I nice word for rip-off direct copy and used inspired the way you use homage. So my understanding of the word was wrong but I think we both have a pretty similar thoughts on the Wilde-Beast as a whole though.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
TexasTee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 3,861
Post imported post

Open to opinions.....there seems to be a few of those.....:t




__________________


Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day;
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way....

SCOTT
TexasTee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
RXP
Member
 
RXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 57
Post imported post

TexasTee wrote:
Quote:
Open to opinions.....there seems to be a few of those.....:t



Love the rubber integration bracelet and bezel.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
WatchDogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Small Town USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 177
Post imported post

RXP wrote:
Quote:
That being said I'm curious of what other people think of the Wilde-Beast. "
Personally, love the designs, fit, and finish of the several WBs I purchased over the years.

Mine are probably in the "middle" age range of Renato's WB offerings, and are in the 45/46 mm size range and, mine have a Diamond 8 or else diamonds someplace on the dial.

Love their unique appearance, substantial weight on the wrist, and are not too big nor outlandish for my tastes.

Did not care too much for the more recent WB offerings I've seen - as I recall they had more complicated dials than I prefer and were larger in size than my older WBs. So passed on purchasing any of the more recent WBs.


__________________
WatchDogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
stratabiox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East Gwillimbury , Ontario, Canada
My Photos: View
Posts: 78
Post imported post

Im quite a big fan of Renato's wilde beast models. Everywhere I look for a new watch, I keep coming back to Renato's watches. I like the size and style ofthe older and newer models of watch. Its a shame the company is sketchy and doing poorly.
__________________
Brandon Green
Biomechanics Specialist
Founder of Strata Biomechanics Inc.
www.stratabiox.com

"Its historical continuity that maintains most assumptions, not repeated assessment of their validity." Edward De Bono
stratabiox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shamar91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chandler, Arizona, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 369
Post imported post

I've had one for several years and I still like the rubber integration and the yellow carbon fiber dial! Still runs great which, I guess, is a good reason to keep it.
shamar91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
WatchDogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Small Town USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 177
Post imported post

TexasTee wrote:
Quote:
Open to opinions.....there seems to be a few of those.....:t



If you are open to opinions re your watch, glad to oblige!

Beautiful watch!

As I have a few other Renato watches with the rubber integrated bracelet I love the look.

And the MOP looks really superb.

While I never acquired one with rubber on the bezel, your watch carries it well.

Subdials are attractive, like their color.

A beautiful Renato!
__________________
WatchDogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
stratabiox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East Gwillimbury , Ontario, Canada
My Photos: View
Posts: 78
Post imported post

im doing everything i can to find one of these puppys!
__________________
Brandon Green
Biomechanics Specialist
Founder of Strata Biomechanics Inc.
www.stratabiox.com

"Its historical continuity that maintains most assumptions, not repeated assessment of their validity." Edward De Bono
stratabiox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
TLI GUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SAN DIEGO, California, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 102
Post imported post

Huge RENATO fan. Still buying VULCANS when i can find them and the price is right.
WILDEBEASTS,,,,yeah baby



TLI GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
The B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: st pete beach, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 296
Post imported post

I like you really like the original the best....also love the Vulcans and TREX Moon Phase carbon fiber...That is about it...would not buy anything from them they way they run their business...Use to be excellent.
The B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
arnie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesville, Maggie Valley, North Carolina, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 10,288
Post imported post

I have two earlier Wildebeasts and love'em both. One ETA 2824-2 , decorated and one chrono. Both can be bought ....................... but since guys don't wanna pay anywhere near what I feel they are worth, they will stay with me. Thing about Renato is, they killed any value that these pieces may have had all by themselves. JMHO.

















Also love the original BEAST too.









Or this Cyclops ......










__________________
arnie11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
toecutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
My Photos: View
Posts: 8,306
Post imported post

I've always thought that the fit and finish of Renatos were exceptional.



__________________

*Sent from a discreet location through multiple proxy servers.

No, I don't know what kind of watch you should get.
toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tattoo Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Death Valley, , USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 19,341
Post imported post

Arnie, I think they might have killed resale value, but as long as you still like the pieces, ...who cares.

I still always thought Renatos, like the ones you posted above were good watches. Granted, think we overpaid sometimes, but I always enjoyed them and thought they were very good looking watches.
Tattoo Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
arnie11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesville, Maggie Valley, North Carolina, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 10,288
Post imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Quote:
Arnie, I think they might have killed resale value, but as long as you still like the pieces, ...who cares.

I still always thought Renatos, like the ones you posted above were good watches. Granted, think we overpaid sometimes, but I always enjoyed them and thought they were very good looking watches.

I hear ya Don. Still like the ones I posted alot, but when Renato devalued them it was just another tv brand goin to the dogs, IMO.



__________________
arnie11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ANTI-GEEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: taylorsville, Utah, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,710
Post imported post

I just went on the R site for sh!ts & giggles, and am shocked at their new prices. They have doubled and tripled their prices, quartz pieces are going for 6-8 hundy-unreal!!! For a company that has indications of struggling- they are taking an interesting posture for success. I still have several Natos that I really like, but doubt I will get any more.
__________________
...The Peoples MODERATOR...
ANTI-GEEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crown Point, Indiana, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 10
Post imported post

Well if anybody has any Wilde-Beast Gen II's they wanna sell let me know. Those are the ones that I really like. I finally found one and it's a great size, not too big not too small. Still wouldn't mind getting another one or two.
elhefe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Forum Navigation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Watch Freeks forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS - Renato Wilde-Beast TexasTee Finished Sale or Trade Threads 4 12-08-2012 09:34 AM
WTB Renato Wilde-Beast Gen II elhefe Watch Related Items You Are Looking For: 11 08-17-2011 04:26 PM
Orange CF Wilde-Beast brz Just Ordered / Arrived Today! 11 03-07-2011 01:02 AM
FS: Renato Wilde-Beast Budabear Finished Sale or Trade Threads 0 10-02-2010 09:13 AM
At Long Last, Wilde-Beast Budabear Just Ordered / Arrived Today! 12 09-08-2010 12:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.