Watch Freeks banner

Strap and accessories Review: Shane David Designs Horween Strap and Wallet

9K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Tattoo Chef 
#1 · (Edited)
Reviewer: Don aka Tattoo Chef

Products being reviewed: Shane David Horween Essex English Tan strap and Horween Dublin Wallet.

Company Website: http://www.shanedaviddesigns.com/

About: (From Website)

My name is Shane David, I am a small part time leather craftsman based out of Pennsylvania USA. I have been making watch straps and wallets since 2013. I take great pride in my work. I strive to take a simple piece of leather and make it into something wonderful. My hope is you will enjoy your order as much as I enjoyed making it. I am a perfectionist by nature. This is a challenging character trait to have while creating works by hand. From my childhood ,I recall an art teacher trying to explain to me that not all of my lines need to be perfect and connected. I couldn't relate to that theory until I began leather work and realized sometimes there is beauty and perfection in the imperfections and blemishes in a natural hide. I have a passion for what I do and I love the concept of creating something with my hands that will bring somebody joy. I spend many late nights in my humble work area with music playing softly while I get lost in my work. When you handle one of my leather creations I hope you will feel the love, time and passion that I pour into each and every project. I hope to work with you on your next leather project. Feel free to contact me anytime with any questions or concerns you may have.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShaneDavidDesigns

Contact Info: sales@shanedaviddesigns.com

Stock Photos:

Strap specifications
Width: 24/24mm
Length: 130/80mm
Thickness: 4.2mm
Keepers: 1 wide keeper
Stiffness: NONE
Stitching: cream colored thread
Holes: round
Buckle: brushed Pre V
Strap Price $99

My Photos:

Strap Thoughts and Impressions:

This was my first experience with Horween Essex leather, as I have only had chromexcel and cordovan Horween up until this point. Let me just say, pretty much the softest leather and strap I have ever encountered. Like butter is truly an understatement. The leather is super soft to the touch and as such, feels great against the skin.
This strap from Shane David can be ordered in any length or thickness, of course, and with any color stitching. This version is the English Tan color, which to me I refer to as butterscotch or a light caramel color. I chose one large floating keeper as that is what I like, but again, you can choose two standard keepers, a fixed keeper etc.

The strap has natural edges, meaning no dyes, to keep that color throughout.
Stitching is very well done, and the strap just wraps around the wrist. It has to be one of the most comfortable straps I have ever worn.

Because it is so soft though, and has no rigidness at all to it, I don't know if you want to wear it every single day though. This is the type of strap in my opinion, that needs some breathing room if you will, and wearing it everyday could wear it out quicker. Not that this strap will fall apart, far from it as it is constructed very well, but it creases and bends easily.

That said,though, its a fantastic strap, that if you take care of it, you should get a lot of use out of. This particular color looks great on black dials, blue dials, brown dials, etc and would look good with bronze watches too.
For Shane being a new strap maker, I was very impressed with the quality of this strap, and I definitely see more of his straps in my future.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wallet Specifications:

Shane David Designs Billfold Wallet
Horween Dublin leather, with black pigskin lining. Tan stitching.
Dimensions: 4.12 Inches tall, 2.8 inches wide, .80 inches wide at thickest point. Individual flap thickness, .33 inches.

Wallet Price $120

This is an interesting and excellent designed wallet from Shane. As you can see in the pictures it is extremely well made and high quality. While the wallet is thick, it is still smaller than your average billfold wallet. It has 3 slots for your credit cards, business cards, etc., and a 4th slot that opens up more to be able to put your cash and receipts.

The Dublin leather is soft to the touch, and has natural imperfections in it that only get better with age to give the leather great character. Similar to that old leather bomber jacket many of us at one point had or still have. Basically the more you carry and use this, the better it is going to look in my opinion.

The wallet was stiff upon arrival, as is to be expected with leather of this thickness. I have been using this wallet for just about 2 months and it stays perfectly closed at this point and feels great in the pocket. This is easily the nicest wallet, I have ever used.
And it's very practical. I don't carry a lot of cash these days, and have been looking for the perfect wallet. I had a slim wallet from another maker, and the construction was great, but it only had two horizontal slots in it for cards and such. You had to really fold up any cash or receipts to get them in there, and because it had no angled edges, it was hard to get stuff out of it, especially when in a hurry.

Shane has really seemed to make a design here that is not only smaller than your average wallet, but still very useful. I have stuffed the cash slot with a bunch of cash and papers, and have put all my cards in the other slots no problem. And there are no issues in retrieving them when you need them.
Do not be afraid to load this wallet up. The construction is what you would expect from a wallet of this price, and unless you were really abusing it, I doubt you can damage it. The pigskin lining is very soft, but also gives the wallet flexibility.

For me, this is the perfect wallet, as far as what I was looking for. But, if this is not for you, Shane also makes a few other designs, and he might even be able to make you one completely custom, just tell him what you are looking for.

One thing is for sure. Shane David is serious about leather and perfecting his craft. If everything else he makes is anything like these two examples, Shane should be in business for a very long time.

Yes, this wallet is expensive, but in reality not much more expensive than his straps, and there is a lot more work in making a wallet, and still cheaper than most straps from a lot of strap makers. All of Shane's products are all handmade and hand stitched. So just like anything else, you are buying it because it is handmade as opposed to factory made. You are paying for craftsmanship. But, I see no reason that this might be the last wallet you ever buy. It is that well made.

#4 ·
Thank you for the review Don. I am very busy at the moment working on a large commercial order but I will reply to e-mails ASAP. I have the last pre-made wallet already spoken for. I am currently at least a month out on special orders due to back log but feel free to shoot me an e-mail and get on the list.

Also this softer Horween leather tends to stretch a bit over time but has held up very well to my daily wear. You may see it stretch one extra hole over time. I wouldn't worry to much about damaging it by wearing it often unless you wear it in substantially rough conditions.

#12 ·
Great job Shane! The wallet looks super...to reinforce what Don said about the wallet being the last one you may ever have to buy, very true. My $30 timberland leather wallet is coming apart; stitches are loose, the pockets are tearing away from the body, and the edge coat is peeing off. Its only 5 years old. Much better investment in something handmade. Thanks for the review

#14 ·
I have 4 wallets half complete, I will be working on them when I can squeeze in the time. One is the same leather as reviewed, the other three are different colors. With the commercial order I am working on turn around is very slow. After it is finished I will be knocking a bunch of stuff out and loading up the website. Thank you all for the kind words. And a huge thank you to those of you who placed an order.

#15 ·
Had some time available to get started on some more Dublin wallets. Not sure exactly when they will be ready to ship. I used the last of my Dublin leather so there will not be anymore in this material available after these, unless of course I am able to locate more.

I know people enjoy seeing progress shots so here are a few:

Rough Cuts:

Hand Stitching:

Current Progress:

#16 ·
Two phenomenal creations Don ! Holy cow, Mr. David does some amazing work!!! The strap grabs your attention right away with that sensational butterscotch color you mentioned. Really does look like that by the way ! :cool: :) It's a really eye-catching color that manages to stand out, as well as make the watch it's with look even classier. Ridiculously cool !

Nice how it's evidently so soft like this also. Can imagine this one feeling like you are wearing nothing on the wrist even though it looks so substantial. ..What a wallet too Don ! Neat how not only the craftsmanship is top notch like the strap, but how the leather is stiffer than the strap. Seems like some kind of wallet ! Really awesome review as always Don. Thanks very much !!!

#18 ·
Thank you all for your support! I still have a few wallets left, some different colors too. All hand made in the USA, even the leather is tanned in Horween's factory in Chicago. Hand stitched with hand waxed thread. Here are the finished items: Cocoa Dublin, Deep Blue, Chromexcel Tan (Has a redish tint), Brown Cavalier & another Dublin. Now I have to try and find some time to get a bunch of straps done. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.