New Certina DS Action Diver Titanium - Watch Freeks


Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By AtomicTom
  • 1 Post By forzaferrari
  • 1 Post By AtomicTom
  • 1 Post By FunkDaLicious
  • 2 Post By GoodWatch
  • 1 Post By AtomicTom
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hoth, New Jersey, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 8,266
Default New Certina DS Action Diver Titanium

Has everyone had a chance to catch Certina's DS Action Diver Titanium?

This new watch has a 43mm titanium case, 300m WR, an AR coated
sapphire crystal, unidirectional aluminum bezel, and sun ray gray
dial with luminous hands, and markers. Then you also have titanium
bracelets, and behind everything is the Powermatic 80 automatic.

Some pictures guys...








OceanicTime with this, and more...


http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2019...-titanium.html
AtomicTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
forzaferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ohio
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,762
Default

Nice one Tom. Although the markers are close. It manages to separate itself from other sub clones with a great hand set, nice red accented second hand, a more unique bezel, a more pronounced crown guard and of course Titanium. I don't know the price. But I'm betting its to high to have all these great features with a low beat movement at it's heart To bad, it could've been a contender...
FunkDaLicious likes this.
forzaferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FunkDaLicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaferrari View Post
Nice one Tom. Although the markers are close. It manages to separate itself from other sub clones with a great hand set, nice red accented second hand, a more unique bezel, a more pronounced crown guard and of course Titanium. I don't know the price. But I'm betting its to high to have all these great features with a low beat movement at it's heart To bad, it could've been a contender...

I can't argue with any of this. I agree on all points.



The stainless version retail is $1050, I believe, so Titanium is probably a few hundred more. Would have liked to see a 28k beat movement. Can't have it all, I guess!
FunkDaLicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GoodWatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
My Photos: View
Posts: 4,758
Default

The current Dutch (non discounted) price is 975 EUR but we pay 21% VAT. So that makes about 770 EUR without that sales tax.
__________________
* Benrus MIL-W-46374 re-issue | Borealis Estoril 300 DW | Borealis Sea Storm | Crepas L'océan 1200M | Deep Blue Juggernaut II | G. Gerlach Kosmonauta | G. Gerlach Navigator | G. Gerlach RWD-6 Pilot | H2O Orca Dive | Heimdallr 6105-8110 homage | Heimdallr Sea Shepherd | Heimdallr Sharkey 62MAS | Helberg CH1 | Helberg CH6 | Helberg CH8 | Helson Turtle | HMT Pilot | Marina Militare M-7040 | No-name Seventies LED watch | Seagull 1963 Pilot Chronograph | Seiko 5 7S25A | Straton Spéciale | Vostok Amphibia 1967 Diver *

* On the radar: Bulova Computron Reissue | JENNY Caribbean 300 | Squale 101 Atmos *



GoodWatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hoth, New Jersey, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 8,266
Default

Not bad right?! Well other than the price that is. ..But design wise it does
stand out like you guys are saying, and it's in these nice subtle ways too.
It's not too crazy, or too bold, and there is a real refinement within it, or
actually Certina's watches in general it seems. It's that whole controlled
aggression thing that is going on it seems.

Definitely would have been neat to see a different movement, and lower
price tag though. You guys are right as always !
FunkDaLicious likes this.
AtomicTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FunkDaLicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicTom View Post
Not bad right?! Well other than the price that is. ..But design wise it does
stand out like you guys are saying, and it's in these nice subtle ways too.
It's not too crazy, or too bold, and there is a real refinement within it, or
actually Certina's watches in general it seems. It's that whole controlled
aggression thing that is going on it seems.

Definitely would have been neat to see a different movement, and lower
price tag though. You guys are right as always !



As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.
Reflex likes this.
FunkDaLicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GoodWatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
My Photos: View
Posts: 4,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDaLicious View Post
As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.

Exactly my thoughts and I think that (in my case at least) this is amplified by the fact that we own more than just a single watch that gets to be worn on a daily basis. And watches like this one (and I don't think it's a bad watch at all) are geared toward 'single watch' buyers. And less so to collectors. And I'm not a big fan of titanium
Reflex and FunkDaLicious like this.
__________________
* Benrus MIL-W-46374 re-issue | Borealis Estoril 300 DW | Borealis Sea Storm | Crepas L'océan 1200M | Deep Blue Juggernaut II | G. Gerlach Kosmonauta | G. Gerlach Navigator | G. Gerlach RWD-6 Pilot | H2O Orca Dive | Heimdallr 6105-8110 homage | Heimdallr Sea Shepherd | Heimdallr Sharkey 62MAS | Helberg CH1 | Helberg CH6 | Helberg CH8 | Helson Turtle | HMT Pilot | Marina Militare M-7040 | No-name Seventies LED watch | Seagull 1963 Pilot Chronograph | Seiko 5 7S25A | Straton Spéciale | Vostok Amphibia 1967 Diver *

* On the radar: Bulova Computron Reissue | JENNY Caribbean 300 | Squale 101 Atmos *



GoodWatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Reflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cape Town
My Photos: View
Posts: 2,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDaLicious View Post
As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWatch View Post
Exactly my thoughts and I think that (in my case at least) this is amplified by the fact that we own more than just a single watch that gets to be worn on a daily basis. And watches like this one (and I don't think it's a bad watch at all) are geared toward 'single watch' buyers. And less so to collectors. And I'm not a big fan of titanium
Concur.
There are pros and cons to being informed to the extent that some are
__________________
Cape Town - The fairest Cape in all the world
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Will3020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZX14-R
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,485
Default

Had the Blue dial CD; really beautiful in Gray.
__________________
Will3020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
enricosonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Seattle, WA
My Photos: View
Posts: 760
Default

Grumpy Old Man Disclaimer:

I appreciate seeing a picture of an actual watch, not these renderings. Especially a rendering made to seem to exist in some contrived setting. And this isn't directed at Certina, most manufacturers do this.

Separately... this a generic dive watch. It offers nothing new and the crown has outgrown the crown guard. Is it truly guarded when it sticks out appreciably past its guard?
enricosonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FunkDaLicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Photos: View
Posts: 1,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricosonic View Post
Grumpy Old Man Disclaimer:

I appreciate seeing a picture of an actual watch, not these renderings. Especially a rendering made to seem to exist in some contrived setting. And this isn't directed at Certina, most manufacturers do this.

Separately... this a generic dive watch. It offers nothing new and the crown has outgrown the crown guard. Is it truly guarded when it sticks out appreciably past its guard?
(╯° □°) ╯︵ ┻━┻

...

I hear you, and that was damn funny.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
FunkDaLicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 03:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
WatchMedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central Florida
My Photos: View
Posts: 554
Default

I thought it was a seiko shogun at first glance

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
WatchMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hoth, New Jersey, USA
My Photos: View
Posts: 8,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkDaLicious View Post
As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.

Really is an outstanding point you are making here sir, and you have to
wonder whether the watch companies realize this as well. Not that these
watches, and watches even more expensive aren't great. That most likely
are very impressive, but are they that impressive?! Or so impressive that
they are equivalent to multiple affordable watches?!

Are the designs that much better?! Are the movements unbeatable?! Or
is it just something about the name on a watch dial that supercharges
the price tag?!

I know a lot of times I honestly just see watches, and like them, and
then post about them. But most of the time, or basically all of the time,
I am only posting about them, and not buying them.

Am always more likely to get something that's got more bang for the
buck like you, and your coworker. Seriously, there are so many great
cool, classic, even funky new, and vintage watches out there it's pretty
much unbelievable. But unfortunately not a lot of people know that
out there. Or don't know what we know like you said.
FunkDaLicious likes this.
AtomicTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Forum Navigation

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Watch Freeks forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.