Watch Freeks banner

Strap Review: Dangerous 9 Straps Leather/Canvas 1950's Rucksack Strap

14K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  billwilson 
#1 ·
If viewing on tapatalk, please click here for full review:
http://www.watchfreeks.com/122-stra...-dangerous-9-straps-leather-inset-canvas.html

Reviewer:
Don aka Tattoo Chef

strap donated for review

Strap being reviewed: Dangerous 9 Leather/Canvas 1950's Rucksack Strap

Company Website:
http://dangerous9straps.blogspot.com/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Dangerous9straps?fref=ts

About:
Dangerous9straps was founded in 2010 to build the worlds finest watch straps. headed by John Glance who has been extensive experience in fine leather crafts.

Dangerous9straps uses only the finest materials available: Natural vegetable tanned leathers, Exotic skins and vintage Ammo leathers. Our straps are hand cut and burnish. Then hand saddle stitched using only the very finest Irish waxed linen thread. Each strap is the hand buffed to either a semi or full gloss finish. Every stage of the strap making process described above is done by hand with incredible attention to detail.

Contact Info:
Dangerous9straps@gmail.com

Stock Photo:

Strap Description: (From John at Dangerous 9 Straps)

The strap is made from the leather and canvas of an original, vintage Swiss Army Rucksack dating from the 1950's. The canvas was woven from cotton and linen consisting of tread in both natural Ecru and Army Green color, giving the canvas a unique mottled appearance. This canvas is extremely strong and thick - the fabric being more the 1mm thick. The leather used was also salvaged from the same rucksack and is a very beautiful natural vintage tan color. The construct of the strap is quite complex consisting of 4 layers of material: 1) top layer leather trim - made from leather from the rucksack. 2) Swiss Army Canvas layer. 3) Vegetable tanned mid-layer - which gives the strap strength and body. 4) Lining leather made from Vintage Swiss rucksack leather. Strap has been hand saddle stitched using a super fine stitch pattern with 3 ply Ecru Irish waxed linen thread. Please note the detail work on the keeper which takes about an hour to produce. The strap as designed can be made in 22 to 27mm widths and can even incorporate a taper such as 27mm to 24mm for the Panerai Radiomir watches and for Bell & Ross BR01/03 and BR02 straps as well. Additionally the leather trim and lining can be dyed black as with the strap I made for a BR01 Heritage.

Strap specifications:

Width: 24/24mm

Length: 130/80mm

Thickness: 5.5mm at lugs, 4.25mm through body of strap.

Keepers: 1 large loose leather/canvas keeper, hand stitched.

Stiffness: medium stiffness, breaks in really fast.

Stitching: Ecru Irish waxed linen thread, hand stitched

Holes: round

Buckle: Dangerous 9 branded screw in Pre-V buckle

Price: $235 USD, as shown

Packaging:
The packaging , is like many of the custom strap makers I have seen. The strap arrived wrapped in red and white tissue paper, tied with a string.
This is something I always debate. Do I really care about the type of packaging a strap comes in? I'm on both sides. On one hand, when paying this much for a strap, maybe you want to see a nice signed box or storage pouch for the strap. On the other hand , for an extreme quality hand made strap, the tissue paper wrapping gives it that hand made old world character, something you didn't buy from the mall.
Like I said, I am in the middle on this one. Maybe even just an unbranded micro fiber pouch would be nice. On the other, you throw the packaging once you get the strap anyways.

My Photos:

Thoughts and Impressions:
As you can see in the strap description above, and hopefully in the pictures, this strap is amazing well crafted.
I don't believe I have ever seen a canvas leather strap quite like this before.
You can tell just looking at it, that it obviously takes awhile to put together, and that they really tried to make something complex and unique. And I think they definitely accomplished that, and it is also extremely good looking and very comfortable on the wrist.
The outside leather from the rucksack has a great weathered look about it, the canvas almost has a digital look about it, and the stitching is very well done throughout.
I am told every part of the strap is done by hand, and that it is all hand stitched as well.
If so, (which I have no reason to not believe), that is impressive, considering the strap is made of 4 layers of material.
Honestly, I always try and look at a review product and pick it apart. On this example, I can't personally say anything negative about it.
This particular example I believe would look great on many watches, and while it is very pricey, I feel this is one of those cases, that you get what you pay for, and between materials used and construction of the strap, I think it is well worth it.

Below are some examples of the different types of this leather/canvas strap from the Dangerous 9 website.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your comments.

See less See more
#6 ·
That strap is fantastic. The craftsmanship looks amazing. Of course, to showcase a strap as handsome as this one you need the correct watch. If you make the right combination then I think you have a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.