IS THIS A STUPID QUESTION??? - Watch Freeks

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: View
Post imported post

OK, so here's my question, especially for those of us who have multiple watches. I have quartz movement watches right now in their boxes that I pull out and wear for certain occasions a few times a year. I don't know about anyone else but it bothers me that these watches run until the batteries die in the darkness of their box when I would much prefer to turn them off before storing them and resetting them anew before wearing them again that few times a year.

But is it possible to turn quartz movement watches off before storing them? I've never heard of it and wonder why that is? It seems like a no brainer that quartz watches should have an on/off switch, even if its a recessed button one pushes with a pin on the back of the timepiece.

If this feature doesn't exist yet, whats say we get together and create a line of watches that actually turn on and off for energy conservation? In this politically correct green environment today, it's sure to be a huge hit. :b

Am I crazy? Or a genius? You decide...
Time Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Post imported post

If you pull the stem out (not completely...just as if you were setting the time)that will save battery life. So, it has been sorta addressed.
rbmbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Post imported post

I do not recommend pulling out the stem to stop the movement. This allows air, moisture and dust to get inside the movement and will cause more damage then a battery replacement costs.
andrema and Pallet Spoon like this.
In Rotation: Accutron Spaceview T Case (1970), Tudor Pelagos 25500TN, Glycine Airman 17 Ref:3917.2, Glycine Airman 08 Chrono 7754, Omega Planet Ocean XL, Raymond Weil Nabucco GMT, Citizen Skyhawk JY0000-53E, Breitling Super Avenger A13370, Boschett Cave Dweller WF LE, Lum-Tec M53 Bronze, Uniq GAF44, Maranez Bangla Ti Cali Dial, Bathy's 100 Fathom, Maranez Bangla Ti LE, Ball Engineer Master II Aviator NM1080C-L3-BK, Orient Pro Saturation Diver EL02003W, REC M5 Mark I, Casio Tough Solar, SWAE Veteran, Panzera BREUER B44-01D (Celtic), Hamilton Sunset H62555153, Prometheus Poseidon, Luxmento Naylamp 300m Automatic Blue, Seiko Recraft, Vostok Europe Ekranoplan, Marina Militare, Hamilton Pan Europ Chrono

Smartwatches: Samsung Gear 2, Ticwatch 2
Spaceview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Post imported post

Spaceview wrote:
Quote:
I do not recommend pulling out the stem to stop the movement. This allows air, moisture and dust to get inside the movement and will cause more damage then a battery replacement costs.
Hmm, I never thought of this anyway as a way to stop the watch. And I remember reading the warranty info that forgetting to rewind the stem fully could void the warranty. So I agree that this isn't a safe way to conserve battery power for all the reasons you stated.

So, I'm back to my original question as to why quartz watches apparently don't have on/off switches? It makes no sense to me that not one manufacturer has ever come up with the concept to conserve battery power on quartz watches.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Post imported post

Take the battery out!

Go check out the Dive Watches FBG -->> https://www.facebook.com/groups/1131038630296057/
andrema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post imported post

rbmbb wrote:
Quote:
If you pull the stem out (not completely...just as if you were setting the time)that will save battery life. So, it has been sorta addressed.
pulling the crown on a quartz watch will do nothing more than stop the seconds hand and, as Marc stated, open the case to humidity/moisture. power will still be supplied to the crystal at the same rate as with the crown in, and thus battery life will still be affected.

in regards to why there is no on/off switch- most likely because there is no perceived need for it from the standpoint of the mov't manufacturers. fact is, we are a very small minority of watch buyers and most people don't have more than a couple watches anyway.

mov'ts should be "worked out" anyway to keep the lubricants from drying up. this is not only true with automatics, but also with quartz.

my .02- enjoy them more often and stop worrying about it :t

welcome to the forum from the Seacoast :c
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Post imported post

andrema wrote:
Quote:
Take the battery out!
:%:c
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Post imported post

andrema wrote:
Quote:
Take the battery out!
Yeah but that means taking the back off which breaks the manufacturers seal. That's never a good thing, especially with dive watches. I mean, I appreciate the solution you offer but it increases the chance of scratching the watch and places the need for regular and unnecessary manipulation of it by the owner. It just seems to me there ought be a better way.

Let me ask this question; does anyone know of any single manufacturer that has ever had an on/off button for a quartz watch?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Post imported post

four20 wrote:
Quote:
rbmbb wrote:
Quote:
pulling the crown on a quartz watch will do nothing more than stop the seconds hand and, as Marc stated, open the case to humidity/moisture. power will still be supplied to the crystal at the same rate as with the crown in, and thus battery life will still be affected.

in regards to why there is no on/off switch- most likely because there is no perceived need for it from the standpoint of the mov't manufacturers. fact is, we are a very small minority of watch buyers and most people don't have more than a couple watches anyway.

mov'ts should be "worked out" anyway to keep the lubricants from drying up. this is not only true with automatics, but also with quartz.

my .02- enjoy them more often and stop worrying about it :t

welcome to the forum from the Seacoast :c
This statement here: mov'ts should be "worked out" anyway to keep the lubricants from drying up. this is not only true with automatics, but also with quartz.
Makes perfect sense and probably explains why no off switches exist on any watches. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Post imported post

Don't worry about the battery in a watch, worry more about the batteries in a Prius.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Post imported post

tinknocker wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry about the battery in a watch, worry more about the batteries in a Prius.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Post imported post

:ctinknocker wrote:
Quote:
:c:c:c:c
sdwalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Post imported post

no such thing as an on-off switch

pulling the stem out accomplishes the same thing

however all horologists will tell you, as others mentioned above, to not do that since it allows moisture and dust to enter

in this game, buying and replacing watch batteries on occasion comes with the territory
Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Post imported post

There's no such thing as an on/off switch any more anyway. Now it's called a mode execute/standby mode toggle. Didn't you know that? Sheesh!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Post imported post

Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Post imported post

Hmm I just let mine die and change them out.
northcentral is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Post imported post

henry5010 wrote:
Quote:
no such thing as an on-off switch

pulling the stem out accomplishes the same thing

however all horologists will tell you, as others mentioned above, to not do that since it allows moisture and dust to enter

in this game, buying and replacing watch batteries on occasion comes with the territory
sorry, but this is incorrect- power is still being supplied to the quartz crystal and thus draining power from the cell. all it will do is stop the seconds hand
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Post imported post

Wouldn't the seals inside the stem slot keep the faint levels of "moisture and dust" out?

What I wanna know is how much moisture and dust is in ya'lls houses???

Do some of you folks live in the rain forest and others on the desert?k

Mondaine Railway Day/Date
Apple Watch 42mm Sport
Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1FJ
Casio Pathfinder PAG-240T
Rolex Submariner 16610
jade4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Post imported post

jade4x4 wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't the seals inside the stem slot keep the faint levels of "moisture and dust" out?

What I wanna know is how much moisture and dust is in ya'lls houses???

Do some of you folks live in the rain forest and others on the desert?k
well, it's quite humid here in Maine...

not all watches have seals in the crown tube- most dress watches fall into this category
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Post imported post

One version of the SeikoKinetic movement has a sleep mode that it enters when not moved for a period of time. The watch resets itself to the correct time and date when moved. This is supposed to work for up to 4 years of sleep time maximum per their advertisements. Casio now has some watches with a claimed 10 year battery life. This is close to the shelf life of the Lithium battery used.

The owner of NFW stated in an emailthat the quartz movement in the Viperfish Quartz draws less power, extending battery life, with the stem pulled out to the time setting position.

As for most quartz watches not having an on/off switch, it is a matter of user convenience. The watch is available for wear without messing with resetting time and calendar settings as long as the battery is alive and a daylight savings change has not occurred.

If you want a practically idiot proof quartz watch then get a solar atomic version with auto setting and autodaylight savings correction provisions. The new Seiko GPS regulated watch even has auto correction for the time zone you are in!
astronut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Forum Navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Watch Freeks forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.