IS THIS A STUPID QUESTION??? - Page 2 - Watch Freeks

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: View
Post imported post

astronut wrote:
Quote:
The new Seiko GPS regulated watch even has auto correction for the time zone you are in!
to the tune of over $2k :whatever:
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Post imported post

I read somewhere, not sure when, that pulling the stem out cuts down the power consumption by about 80%.

Quartz is a grab and go. Why shut it down and have to reset the time and date when you use it.

You might as well just buy a mechanical. No battery, no problem.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Post imported post

astronut wrote:
Quote:
One version of the Seiko¬*Kinetic movement has a sleep mode that it enters when not moved for a period of time.¬* The watch resets itself to the correct time and date when moved.¬* This is supposed to work for up to 4 years of sleep time maximum per their advertisements.¬* Casio now has some watches with a claimed 10 year battery life.¬* This is close to the shelf life of the Lithium battery used.

The owner of NFW stated in an email¬*that the quartz movement in the Viperfish Quartz draws less power, extending battery life, with the stem pulled out to the time setting position.

As for most quartz watches not having an on/off switch, it is a matter of user convenience.¬* The watch is available for wear without messing with resetting time and calendar settings as long as the battery is alive and a daylight savings change has not occurred.

If you want a practically idiot proof quartz watch then get a solar atomic version with auto setting and auto¬*daylight savings correction provisions.¬* The new Seiko GPS regulated watch even has auto correction for the time zone you are in!
WOW... I just looked up the Seiko Astron GPS Solar watch.

It is officially my new dream watch because it has and does everything I want in a fine timepiece. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Time Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Will pulling out my Stem/Crown extend the life of the battery?
In addition to exposing the movement to dust and moisture which can cause your movement to malfunction, pulling out the stem will not save battery life. Pulling the stem out simply disengages the hands from the movement; the movement continues to run and the battery's power is still being depleted.

However - you can disengage (pull stem) overnight (8 hrs) but always store in a case to avoid elements from getting into works ... unless there is a Sand Storm ... you should be fine. In addition, there are long lasting batteries vs. the cheap-o's that actually last up to 4 years.

Moral of the story - spend a little extra for the best battery available instead of run of the mill. Store in watch case when not in use to avoid dirt - dust - humidity.
DejaVu1669w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Get a perpetual date, Atomic Time world timer Citizen Eco drive. As long as it is left out in some direct lighting, it will be the exact day, date, hour, minute, second for twenty years without having to worry about battery change. Sapphire crystal and 200m WR also. These can be had for just a little over $300.

Problem solved!

bapackerfan likes this.
1996 Sub, 3. Sinns 1. Omega vintage dress watch 3 Citizen Signature automatics, 4 Eco Drives, 2 Tag Heuers, 2 Accutrons, 2 Orients, 5 Seikos, 2 Invictas, 1 Pulsar 2 Tissots 1 Skagen and 1 Victorinox Swiss Army, Longines Legend Diver, Steinhart Smurf. and an Eterna Kon Tiki date. Oris 65 Oris Arctix, Borealis Estoril, Wenger Arctic Light, Breitling Colt Chrono
Chazman1946 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

Moderators, is there a computer problem in this forum? I am #13 above and I never said that, I am not that knowledgeable, plus this thread is three years old. ???
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

This is exactly why I will only buy Solar/Eco-Drive quartz or mechanicals.

Until I discovered WF, I had 2 quartz watches that I alternated between over the last several years, and it seemed like every year I was having to take one in to have the battery changed.

Yes, there's servicing costs for mechanicals, and eventually Solars will stop holding a charge; but I'd rather just buy a new Solar after getting my money's worth out of one, and I've fallen hard in love with the character and elegance of even the most basic mechanical movements.
bapackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2015, 04:24 AM   #28 (permalink)

Cool THERE ARE NO STUPID WATCH QUESTIONS

I have about 400 watches, most of them are quartz. They are kept in various types of boxes. I pull the stems on all of the quartz watches that I store. I have had none to fail and I have replaced three batteries in two years. What does that sound like? Don't fear the strength of your watches. Unless they are less expensive beaters (that wouldn't last long anyway) your watch will not succumb to heat, moisture etc, if kept in boxes. Just my experience. Good luck in whatever you; just enjoy your watches.
sandyglover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default Pull the pin

Most new watches from Jewelry stores have a plastic clip on the stem keeping it from running the battery while waiting on us to buy them. So, if you have multiple watches and have a watch box to keep them in, why wouldn't you pull the pins on the lesser used watches. I have 6 watches. I pull the pins out when I put them away...

Michael
Alabama
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyglover View Post
I have about 400 watches, most of them are quartz. They are kept in various types of boxes. I pull the stems on all of the quartz watches that I store. I have had none to fail and I have replaced three batteries in two years. What does that sound like? Don't fear the strength of your watches. Unless they are less expensive beaters (that wouldn't last long anyway) your watch will not succumb to heat, moisture etc, if kept in boxes. Just my experience. Good luck in whatever you; just enjoy your watches.
A pulled out stem has a greater chance of drying out the gaskets in a dry climate. In a humid climate it has a greater chance of letting in moisture.
1996 Sub, 3. Sinns 1. Omega vintage dress watch 3 Citizen Signature automatics, 4 Eco Drives, 2 Tag Heuers, 2 Accutrons, 2 Orients, 5 Seikos, 2 Invictas, 1 Pulsar 2 Tissots 1 Skagen and 1 Victorinox Swiss Army, Longines Legend Diver, Steinhart Smurf. and an Eterna Kon Tiki date. Oris 65 Oris Arctix, Borealis Estoril, Wenger Arctic Light, Breitling Colt Chrono
Chazman1946 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Forum Navigation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Watch Freeks forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.