Watch Freeks banner

Your Most Reliable Cheap Watch

14K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  afc14284 
#1 ·
imported post

Hey all -

So, I got thinking: What was my most reliable cheap watch? Something that I spent less than $60, has been through it all and still works today?

I thought about it .... and then it hit me!

My Timex I purchased in 2001 during Basic Training with the good ol' US Army. I remember almost everyone I knew had this watch.

This also became the first time that I consistently began wearing a watch. I really only wore this for about 11 weeks, but it served me well. And it's memorable.

Sand, water, smashing it, whatever, this thing still held up. I also wore this a few times after basic; the watch surprisingly works well with some outfits (for all you fashion bugs out there)

Anyway, here it is. It's a Timex something.

I just noticed that it posted the military hours too. And all that time I was doing MATH in my head lol.

Please share your most reliable cheap watch! The rules are simple: Has to be around $60 bucks, still works (excluding battery). Dollar amount is only for WHAT YOU paid for the watch (i.e., watch retailed for $300 but you got it for $50, this would work)

If it has a story behind it, please share! If you lost the watch, but have a story, share!

Also, see if you can find a picture on the Internet and share. If not, no worries, share anyway!

PS - I saw a lot of people get artsy when taking pictures of their watch. I like it. In fact, I started trying it out myself. Not as good as the ones I saw, though :lol

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Well i had a timex back in the day, buts lost to the sands of time. Its likely still working and was like $30 or so.

I do, however, have an old favorite Nautica D7 which was $60 when I purchased it back about 18 years ago. It has date, day, and 24 hour functions on it. I beat the heck out of it for the last 18 years, and have destroyed about 6 or 7 straps, but its still100% functional!

I love this watch!

Rob

#3 ·
imported post

Actually got it for free as a promotional thing

#6 ·
imported post

Tattoo Chef wrote:
Tinknocker.....wasnt that Swiss Army a Marlboro promotion watch?
Yep, that's the one. I also got a Wenger the following year but gave it to my Dad

And this one was the first I got from them.

#8 ·
imported post

Time Traveler wrote:
tinknocker wrote:

Did you sterilize it befor the pic?

:%:%:%:%

Serioulsly though, that is one good looking watch. Very cool for a freebee.

Rob
OK wise guy, what did you edit out :pk:t

#10 ·
imported post

tinknocker wrote:
Time Traveler wrote:
tinknocker wrote:

Did you sterilize it befor the pic?

:%:%:%:%

Serioulsly though, that is one good looking watch. Very cool for a freebee.

Rob
OK wise guy, what did you edit out :pk:t
Actually, i added the "seriously though..." comment!

#12 ·
imported post

I've got a casio G shock that I have put through the paces man! I didn't even really give it a great deal of thought until recently.

I work in industrial construction and wear the thing everyday, it puts up with ridiculous temperature as I live in the north. I love this thing and when it dies, I'll be buying another.

Don't have the model number on me, as I am on a dark bus and it is in my bag, but I'll post it later. And the best part, I got it for free! As a gift :)

Oh and its actually quite nice to look at!

#13 ·
imported post

Kvalor wrote:
I've got a casio G shock that I have put through the paces man! I didn't even really give it a great deal of thought until recently.

I work in industrial construction and wear the thing everyday, it puts up with ridiculous temperature as I live in the north. I love this thing and when it dies, I'll be buying another.

Don't have the model number on me, as I am on a dark bus and it is in my bag, but I'll post it later. And the best part, I got it for free! As a gift :)

Nothing beats free. Or reading up on watches while on the bus! :c

#14 ·
imported post

Chicago Bears wrote:
Kvalor wrote:

Nothing beats free. Or reading up on watches while on the bus! :c
ahh, I hadn't even realized I was looking up watches and posting on WF s while on the bus... now that you mention it.... I THINK I HAVE A PROBLEM.

#16 ·
imported post

Gawd,
i feel cheap even saying these things.
I worked for a man that bought returns from basspro stores. his rule of thumb {which is dumb as a dog turd} , any watch we got in our shipments were thrown away !
One day while unloading a truck with him, he found a Casio Gshock at the bottom of a shipping box. It was working , but had a broke rubber band. The jerk chucks it into the burn pile!
Well, i asked if i could have it. He said he didnt care.
Got it home, it was brand new, and working. i replaced the band for 6 bucks. It even has a vibration alarm, and thats perfect for me because im hearing impaired.That was 5 years ago, and it still works, and is on the same battery.
Some people are so wasteful .
Rod

#17 ·
imported post

Never cheap.....only inexpensive. :madd

#19 ·
imported post

I had a Swiss Army officers watch that I was given when I got back from basic training...not under $60, but it was free. This one:

I wore that to MANY deployments. I only wore it when I was off the flightline, but still banged it around for many years! It held up VERY well and I ended up giving it to one of my team members when he got accepted for a pilot position at the 103rd to fly A-10s....unfortunately, he washed out.

#21 ·
imported post

My freestyle that I bought for $40 in the keys like 5 years ago. I can't count how many times it's been spearfishing with me on out on the watch. Doesn't even have a screw down crown and never had an issue with it. Still wear it to this day.

#25 ·
imported post

victor wrote:
In my opinion thanks to quartz movements you can find today a lot of very reliable watches under $60, I guess that Casio and Timex should be at the top of the list. Here in Canada we have Cardinal watches which are also very good.
The least expensive CasioG-Shock, the DW5600E, is available for about $40 on Amazon. This is an LCD G-Shock and isphysically thesmallest and thinnestversion currently made that I am aware of. The form factor is similar to the original G-Shock watch but with EL panel night lighting. This is a watch designed to be rugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.