Watch Freeks banner

Question on a Omega Seamaster

2K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Watchwearer 
#1 ·
Take a look at the photo below and tell me your thoughts...both real, one fake or both fake

See less See more
#4 ·
Crown on bottom pic is odd

Bezel numerals seem to touch bezel dots on bottom pic

Bracelet end link fit on top pic is sloppy

Date window frame on top pic isn't sharp along bottom edge

Date wheel numerals don't look right to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Top is fake, there's light shining through end link.

I'd say bottom is real. Bezel has nice luster. That's hard to fake. I think the misalignment is a camera angle thing just like it is in the first set of photos

#8 ·
this sure would be easier if I could hold the watches

top real but older
bottom fake - hands not right, crown guards too short, lume too thin

I think....

#9 ·
I've never seen a Bond era Seamaster with a black handset. The bezel is not faceted correctly on the bottom piece. Flat over the pip and markers. Could be the pics. But the bezel color on the bottom piece seems to dark.
Otherwise, I'd need to see the back to check if the lugs are laser coded.

#15 ·
Well then its the bezel. The face ring was not installed correctly.The bezel ring is flat above the markers when it should be pointed. Crown guard looks a little short also. Could be the picture, but the top of the crown looks a little gnarly. Thats all I got...
So is it something we all missed ? Or are you being coy ?

#16 ·
the wave pattern on the dial of the top watch is centered the bottom one is not.

The text on the bottom watch 'f' in feet is not uniform in height

I suspect the top watch was re-lumed though

in conclusion I can't tell because its an Omega. Need to know what model each picture represents as there are so many variations with the same name.

Both probably real.

#19 ·
I think the wave pattern looks okay on the bottom. Look at the 12 position and the date window compared to one another. The waves seem to match up. I still say the bottom is fake. If you look at the lugs the inside seems to have a bit of a curve to it that is bending the light differently than the real photo comparisons do not have. Though that could simply be lighting... The "f" is damn close too. That bezel still looks sloppy, but again, could be the photo.

The top of the hands shaft is too shiny too. Should have been blackened/darkened.

I'd take it to an authorized dealer. :)

#22 ·
andrema -

Respectfully, how long are you going to keep us in suspense?

Or does the fact that you have yet to publish an expository post mean that no one has posted the correct answer?

#24 ·
Oh, the bottom one definitely has issues. From the first time that I saw it I noticed the bezel problems. It is either some sort of cobbled together frankenfake or just a fake.

#28 ·
And that brings me to a question that has been puzzling me for a long time. As the producer of counterfeit watches one of your goals might be to produce a fake that can pass second scrutiny. Making it a good seller. This must be a multi million dollar industry with a large profit margin.

So you go to a store and buy an original popular A-brand watch, like this Omega. You take it to your design department and have them dissect it. The result is translated into dies, silk screen patterns, etc. As you have the original, the visible parts of the watch can be replicated 1 to 1. And yet they fail. Why is this? Or does the level of detail to get it absolutely on the mark make the end product too expensive to peddle it on the streets and make enough profit?

#29 ·
Goodwatch -
I have often wondered the same thing - why cant the counterfeiters get it right when they have every component to copy and all of the time in the world? My guess - greed.

I understand that in some instances it may be cost prohibitive to use exactly the same metals but if someone with the appropriate equipment and a sufficient amount of attention to detail should be able to get it right. But then we have to factor in the greed. It is greed that causes the counterfeiters to a) use cheap materials, b) not pay sufficient attention to detail, and c) rush the process so they can generate as many pieces as possible.

I once saw two counterfeits that were incredibly accurate (micro engravings, etc) such that the only way to determine authenticity by visual inspection was to remove the caseback and examine the movement. Those pieces were acquired in Japan by a relative who at the time was in the military and stationed in the Philippines. Thank t was more than 20 years ago and he told me he paid more than $200 apiece for each watch (about $350 in today's dollars). It would be interesting to know what the profit margin was on that watch.

#30 ·
Goodwatch -
I have often wondered the same thing - why cant the counterfeiters get it right when they have every component to copy and all of the time in the world? My guess - greed.
Increasing the quality of counterfeits usually makes no business sense.

Omega for instance spend millions on specialized machinery to make their product. They also produce it in scale to lower the cost per unit. On top of this, there is limited demand world wide for their product.

Now you are a counterfeiter with semi optimum machinery. Are you going to spend all this money and time to retool to make exact copies? Probably not.

Why? because you won't be able to sell at a volume or price that makes it worth your while.

If you have the machines and skill to make exact copies of luxury watches, you'd end up making more money by manufacturing for real companies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.