Watch Freeks - View Single Post - Are grey market purchases that bad
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jcher

My Photos: View
Default Are grey market purchases that bad

Last week I went to my watch retailer that I have serviced several watches in the past. This particular retailer carries an array of different watch brands: Constantin, AP, U Nardin, GP, Rolex, Omega, Jaeger LeCoultre, Cartier, Breitling, Tag to Hamilton, Longines, Movado, Seiko and Citizens to name a few. Both new and used. I honestly go into the store and find exactly what I want to buy because they have such a large inventory to choose from. On this particular day I had my eye on an automatic (I will not disclose the brand nor the store because I still frequent the store) which was previously loved, aka pre-owned and marked at $1400.00. Okay, then I asked what would be the price out-the-door if I were to take it away that moment. He negotiated the price down to $1100 without taxes, which I thought was a great deal. Unfortunately, I did not purchase the watch at the time because I had an engagement with my wife that I had to get to.
Interestingly, I follow the store on "the bay" and just so happen to do a search to see what that watch would go for on the grey market. To my surprise, the exactly watch was on there page for a jaw dropping $650.00 with free shipping.
Am I wrong to feel subjected to price hikes. I don't think that is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcher is offline   Reply With Quote